Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Thursday Recipe - Seasoned Salt

I love seasoned salt. You know, that reddish stuff from the grocery store that is kind of sweet and kind of spicy and mostly salty. Much of it uses MSG, though, a big no-no at my house. I'd rather not eat than deal with the migraines it triggers. And the rest is just too pricey. I was digging through my spice cupboard a while back and realized I could make my own seasoned salt. I had all the spices.

So I experimented and came up with a seasoned salt I like. It goes well on meats of all kinds and anywhere else you'd use a bit of seasoned salt. Like on cottage cheese spooned onto crackers. Not that I do that very much. Cottage cheese triggers my lactose intolerance so I rarely have it in the house. Okay, TMI. Moving on.

This recipe is very simple. You just dump everything into a bottle and shake it up. I just re-use my seasoned salt bottle. Feel free to change up the spices to suit your personal tastes. And don't be afraid of experimenting. It's not like this stuff is going to explode on you.

Seasoned Salt

1/2 c. salt
2 T. sugar
1 T. paprika
1 t. turmeric
1 t. onion powder
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. ground black pepper
1/2 t. mustard powder
1/2 t. ground thyme

Mix everything together. Store in an airtight container.

Optional:
1 t. sesame seeds
1/2 t. poppy seeds
1 t. dried oregano, crushed fine
1/2 t. dried basil, crushed fine
1 t. dried parsley, crushed fine
1/2 t. cayenne pepper powder, if you like it spicy
1 t. dried lemon peel, ground into powder

Experiment with other dried herbs or ground spices. Maybe a dash of ground allspice would make it sing for you. Try it and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it nice.