Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Monday, October 21, 2013

They're Playing Our Song

Sorry for those of you who were hoping for a sappy romantic moment here. This is about theme songs for my books. As I write, I listen to music. It drowns out the sounds of screaming children and Nintendo games and all the other distractions. Like the house catching fire or the kids chopping up furniture with chainsaws. (No, those didn't happen. But I do have a "writing sign" for my bedroom door that reads, If there isn't blood, bones, or open flames, DO NOT KNOCK!. It mostly worked.)

So just for fun, here's a list of songs that became theme songs for the books in my series. I have no idea why some songs stick with certain books, but they were my go-to song for that book. Listening to them set the mood and got me ready to write.

If you want to check out the whole series, at least all the ones in print so far, go here.

Nexus Point was written mostly to Air Supply. Don't ask me why. I had to laugh when I'd finish writing a very intense fight scene and realize my CD player was playing, "I'm all out of love, I'm so lost without you..."

But the big song for the book was this one - Air Supply's 'I Can Wait Forever'

Priestess of the Eggstone had The Alan Parsons Project as its backup singers, especially these two songs:

Damned If I Do

Don't Answer Me

I was going through a Josh Groban phase when I wrote Poisoned Pawn. I fell in love with this song and played it over and over and over...

Remember When it Rained

Kumadai Run didn't really have any theme songs, at least nothing that stood out. I listened to a lot of Elvis love songs and heavy metal, though. And ate way too much chocolate. There is one scene at the end that has its own theme song, though. If you've read the book, I think you can figure it out.

Josh Groban's When You Say You Love Me 

Cold Revenge was one of those that no single song jumps out at me, but this is good one for it. (I seem to have a thing for sappy love songs when I'm writing, which makes little sense. My books are NOT sappy romance.)

Chicago, We Can Last Forever

Here's a teaser for the rest of the series:

Book 6 - Jericho Falling - Laura Branigan, Ti Amo
Book 7 - Obsidian Tears - Our Farewell
Book 8 - Chain of Secrets - Midnight in Moscow, Fly
Book 9 - An Indecent Proposal - Solitaire
Book 10 - Phoenix in Flames - Ride Forever
Book 11 - Redemption - Amazing Grace

Are you excited to read them? I'm excited to get the books out!

2 comments:

  1. That now explains why those songs were stuck in my head through different phases of high school.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, keep it nice.