Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Monday, September 2, 2013

Author Interview - Angie Lofthouse

Please welcome Angie Lofthouse! She went to college with every intention of becoming a particle physicist, but through a series of misadventures, found herself studying Shakespeare instead. After college she combined her love of science and her love of words into a science fiction writing career.

Her short stories have appeared in numerous online and print magazines. Her sci-fi adventure novel, Defenders of the Covenant, was released in 2012.

She lives in a little canyon in the foothills of the Wasatch Mountains with her family of writers, artists, singers, composers, illustrators and musicians.


Find her at these places:
Blog: http://notesfromthewritingchair.blogspot.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/angie.lofthouse.author
Twitter: https://twitter.com/angielofthouse 

Website: http://www.angielofthouse.com/
Amazon Page
Goodreads


Tell us about your writing - What genre do you prefer to write? What books, stories, other publications that you've written are your personal favorites? Anything new coming up?
I write science fiction and fantasy, both novels and short stories. I love exploring new worlds and new ideas. I try to make everything I write both entertaining and uplifting. My latest release is a collection of short stories called Ripped and Other Adventures. My favorite story in there is probably "Among the Silent Stars." It's the story of a deaf girl on a newly colonized planet.

What about you as a person? What do you do to relax? Favorite movies or tv shows? Hobbies?
My other passion besides writing is music, particularly singing. I have been in the Musettes Ladies Chorus for ten years now. I also play the guitar, and I can manage a few hymns on the piano. I love music of all kinds. My hubby and children are musicians too, so music is a huge part of my life.

What gets your creative juices going? Do you write to music, and do you want to share your playlist?
Oh, I definitely write to music! (See above) I don't have a specific playlist for it. I listen to whatever strikes my fancy be it jazz, rock, classical, new age, pop, religious, or whatever I'm in the mood for.

"All writers must have cats, especially if they write fantasy or speculative fiction." Do you have a stand on this one? Any cute pictures of your kitty or other pet?
I do have cats. And a seemingly endless supply of kittens. But they are not allowed in the house!

What organizations do you recommend for those wanting to become writers? Any advice you'd like to share about writing?
The Facebook group Authors Think Tank has been a great resource. It's always good to attend any writing conferences in your area. That's a great way to meet fellow authors who live close to you. As for writing advice, my best advice has always been to write what you love, believe in your dreams, and never, ever give up!

What writers inspired you to become an author?
Orson Scott Card, Dave Wolverton/Farland, Madeline L'Engle, Connie Willis, Julie Czerneda, to name a few.

Any special appearances or events coming up that you want to mention?
Here's a little secret. My short story collection will be free on Amazon Sept. 10-14 in celebration of "birthday week." (I, my daughter, and my husband all have birthdays in those five days!)

Sounds like a very busy week. If you could travel to any time in history, when would you visit?
Honestly, I think I'd rather see the future than visit the past.

If you could have dinner with any of your characters, which ones would you choose? What food would you serve?
I'd choose Hannah and Derek, from my novel Defenders of the Covenant. Hannah's very musically oriented, just like me, and Derek is a nerdy fighter pilot and just all around awesome. I would serve them chili dogs with my own award-winning chili recipe. I don't think they've eaten chili dogs before. Plus something really chocolaty for dessert.

I'm going to have to pry that recipe out of you one of these days. If you could travel anywhere, on earth or off, where would you go?
I would seriously love to stand on the moon and look down on earth. I'd also like to visit London.

What color would you wear if you had only one choice?
Well, it would have to be something bright. I guess I'd go with purple!

Purple is an excellent choice. Thanks for stopping by, Angie! And best of luck with your writing.

2 comments:

  1. You're welcome, Angie. I hope someone read the post. Nobody comments anymore, though. Good luck with your new book. It sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, keep it nice.