Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Thursday Recipe - Banana Oatmeal Cookies

I'm living in several alternate realities at the same time. It's the only way to explain what's going on. I swear I posted this recipe to the blog already, but when I went to look for it, I couldn't find it anywhere. I can't find any missing posts, so the only explanation is that yes, I *did* post it, but to a blog in another reality.

These are a great way to use up two or three very ripe bananas. The cookies bake up like banana bread, very soft and squooshy, but still cookies. The oatmeal adds a nice texture. I use the quick-cooking kind, mostly because it isn't as noticeable and I prefer it. So instead of OATMEAL in my cookies, I have oatmeal. It's there but doesn't shove itself in your face. The spices are the same way - very understated. Overall, these are just great cookies.

My old trusty Betty Crapper Crockbook comes through with the best inspiration.

Banana Oatmeal Cookies

1/2 c. butter, softened
1 c. brown sugar
2 - 3 overripe bananas
1 egg
1 t. vanilla
1 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. cloves or nutmeg
3 c. oatmeal
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. raisins OR dried fruit chopped small OR chocolate chips

Cream butter and sugar. Add bananas. Beat until well blended. Add egg, vanilla, salt, soda, and spices. Beat until very creamy. Stir in oatmeal, flour, and raisins. Set aside for at least 15 minutes. This lets all the flavors blend together and lets the oatmeal soak up liquid. The cookies will be better if you do this. Trust me.

Heat oven to 350°F. Generously spray a cookie sheet. Scoop out dough by heaping tablespoonfuls. Leave room for the cookies to spread while baking because they will. Bake 12 - 15 minutes, until top of cookie is no longer gooey. Let cool on the sheets for 15 minutes before removing so cookies can set up.

These are great as is, or you can frost them with cream cheese frosting or just cream cheese. They really do taste like banana bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it nice.