Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Thursday Recipe - Thai Coconut Peanut Sauce

I enjoy Thai food, but the spicy peppers don't like me back. I can't stand cilantro, either, in case you were wondering why I never use it in any recipe.

I was in the mood for a different sauce for my noodles. We picked up some Thai Lemonpepper Chili flavored peanuts at the grocery store. My youngest said she loved the flavor, so I asked if she wanted peanut sauce on her noodles, too. She loved the sauce. The sauce turned out very creamy and just a touch spicy.

You could serve it over rice, noodles, rice noodles, or whatever sounds good. It would work with tofu, chicken, or steamed veggies, too.

Branch out and try something different.

BTW, the best source for coconut milk I've found are the little Asian grocery stores.

Thai Coconut Peanut Sauce

1 t. oil
2 t. candied ginger, chopped fine (I use scissors.)
2 t. minced garlic
1 t. red chili flakes
1/2 c. peanut butter
14 oz. can coconut milk
1 T. lemon juice
1 T. soy sauce
1 T. ponzu (Oriental citrus sauce, Kikkoman makes a nice one.)

Heat oil in a 2 qt. saucepan over med heat. Add ginger and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes, just enough to start to brown a little teeny bit. Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Cook and stir over medium heat until the fats melt enough to make a creamy sauce. Don't overcook it or it will burn. Don't bring it to a boil, just hot enough to turn creamy.

Makes about 2 c. or about 6 servings. Go light on the sauce, it has a very strong flavor and you don't need very much.

Garnish with chopped green onions or chopped peanuts, if you want.

2 comments:

  1. Yum. I definitely have to make some of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ponzu makes it taste right. If you want it hotter, add a bit more red pepper flakes.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, keep it nice.