Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Monday, April 2, 2012

Author Interview - MeiLin Miranda

Please welcome MeiLin Miranda to the Far Edge of Normal. MeiLin Miranda came back from the dead (for serious) to write the fantasy series "An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom" and the online fantasy western serial "Scryer's Gulch." She lives in Portland, OR with a husband, two kids, two cats, a floppy dog and far, far too much yarn.
 
How can we find you? Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc. - please share your public links.

Website: http://www.MeiLinMiranda.com/
Facebook personal: http://www.facebook.com/MeiLinMiranda
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/IntimateHistory
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/meilinmiranda
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/2731702.MeiLin_Miranda
Livejournal: http://meilin-miranda.livejournal.com/

Tell us about your writing - What genre do you prefer to write? What books, stories, other publications that you've written are your personal favorites? Anything new coming up?

I prefer to write fantasy, though I occasionally dip a toe into science fiction.

Perhaps the two most favorite things I've written are the short story "Dalston Junction," a Victorian (non-steampunk) science fiction story, and the flash fiction piece "Non Si Muove," a teeny bit of fantasy about the first man in space, Yuri Gagarin.

New and coming up: The second novel in the series "An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom" debuted on March 20th. It's called "Son in Sorrow," and is the follow-up to "Lovers and Beloveds." The paperback is due in late April/early May. I've already started research for the third book in the series, which has the far-from-final title "Queens."

I'm currently working on a novel in a collaborative universe series called "The Drifting Isle Chronicles." I'm part of a team: me, Joseph Robert Lewis, Coral Moore, Katherine Tomlinson and Charlotte English, all indie fantasy writers. We co-created a world in which to tell five different stories, all interlocking but stand-alone novels. Unlike many collaborations, the novels are entirely written by one author only; we just share the universe. My book, tentatively titled "The Machine God," will be released with the other four some time in late 2012.

And I'm always working on the webserial "Scryer's Gulch: Magic in the Wild Wild West."

What about you as a person? What do you do to relax? Favorite movies or tv shows? Hobbies?

I am not much of a TV watcher these days; I just don't have time. About the only appointment TV I have is Dancing with the Stars, my main guilty pleasure. I have a Roku set-top box (no cable), and it's more than I can watch. I am an inveterate Mystery Science Theater 3000 fiend, and when I don't know what else to do with myself and need comfort watching, that's where I go.

As to hobbies, I love audiobooks; I always have one going. Right now I'm in the middle of an Anthony Trollope kick. I love reading and my constant companion is my Kindle. I also knit, crochet and spin yarn. I'm hoping to get back into sewing this year.

What gets your creative juices going? Do you write to a music, and do you want to share your playlist?

I have a Livio internet radio box and usually listen to either a classical Pandora channel or a channel called Concentration Radio that I seeded with jazz, soundtracks and non-English-language music; if it's in English I get distracted, though occasionally an English-language track will sneak in. Here's the URL to that:
http://bit.ly/xBST7Q (I hope it works)

Often, when I'm really in it, I listen to Iron and Wine. A LOT of it, especially the EP "Woman King."

"All writers must have cats, especially if they write fantasy or speculative fiction." Do you have a stand on this one? Any cute pictures of your kitty or other pet?


I am pet-agnostic as to whether writers need one. I certainly think life is better for having one, though, writer or not. I have two black cats who cannot be told apart unless you live with them (Inky and Blackberry), and a floppy Cavalier King Charles Spaniel named Henry. Every depressed person should be issued a Cav, they're ridiculous little dogs. I have no pictures of them; I'm not a very good picture taker. The cats usually are asleep on the back of my chair when I write, while the dog usually sleeps on my feet.

What organizations do you recommend for those wanting to become writers? Any advice you'd like to share about writing?

For the female genre writers, you can't go wrong belonging to Broad Universe. The Broads are awesome. Apart from that, no, I really don't. As an indie, I am barred from membership of many other, if not most, writers organizations.

The best advice is the most common: Read, write, read, write, read read read write write write. It's common for a reason.

What writers inspired you to become an author?

The earliest inspiration I can remember is C.S. Lewis, though frankly I cannot re-read the Narnia books now without wishing to throw them against the wall.

Any special appearances or events coming up that you want to mention?

The next event I'll be attending for sure is Orycon in Portland, OR November 2nd-4th, 2012. I'm also hoping to go to GeekGirlCon in Seattle in August.

Thanks so much for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. Great interview! Yay for audio books too. If you haven't found the craftlit podcast, you'd love it. Knitting and audio classics. :)
    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, keep it nice.