Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Monday, October 31, 2011

Projects Galore

This is what I did Saturday. Well, I should say my husband, sons, neighbors, and I did.

See the giant pine tree right in the middle of the yard? No? That's because we chopped it down and cut it up into green waste and firewood. I love it. My yard looks so much bigger and my house looks really big now, too.

Downside is that all the yard projects that we've been neglecting are now very noticeable. But not in this picture. I'm just going to bask in the lovely sunlight we now have in our east-facing front yard.








Here's what's left of the tree: a big pile of fire wood in what's left of our garden.

(Those are beehives in the background. Two hives. We got 4 1/2 gallons of honey out of them a month ago. My husband only harvested one box off each, too. I think we need more boxes next summer so we can get even more of that delicious liquid gold.)









This is why I lost my pruning license. This is the blue spruce on the north side of our house. That's another Scotch pine in the front on the right and a yew (I think) on the left. I took off all the lower scraggly branches of the spruce. Now we have a nice open space where nothing grows except pine needles and pine cones. I think it looks lovely.










So, what did you do last weekend? This weekend I'm up for tiling a countertop in our family room and getting a couple of dresser painted.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Congrats on lots of work done! Hope the tiling and etc goes well. I didn't do much except skip parties due to sick kids this weekend. But so far this week I've managed to sort through my storage closet, pull out my maternity clothes, thin down the total stash and figure out a storage/rotation method that may work for awhile. =) It probably shouldn't feel like such a huge achievement.

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. No comment about how the dog helped too?

    The house is really looking nice. Let me know what I can do to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the way you are supposed to trim pine trees :) They should give you your pruning license back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They took it away because they were done hauling the branches off. James said I shouldn't have pruned it that high up because now you can see the scraggly grass and other things the branches hid.

    They said I could have my pruning license back now that it's too cold to go outside and prune anything.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, keep it nice.