Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Thursday Recipe - German Chocolate Pie From Belle

Magnolia Belle is another great author I've met on BestsellerBound. She shares a fun recipe and the story behind it.

"My first book, "Black Wolf: Lakota Man" also meant my first editor.  She lived in Connecticut and I in Texas.  The book is modern day adventure/romance about four Lakota Sioux brothers who form a rock band in Austin.  In the book, there is a scene involving the youngest brother's birthday.  His favorite cake is German chocolate.  The editor, not knowing that cake, insisted that I send the character to Germany to learn of the recipe.  I had to explain that the cake was invented by an American with the last name of German. 

Then she wanted me to use an authentic Lakota dessert for a birthday meal.  Again, I had to explain that the Lakota, and all North American tribes, didn't have sugar and typical desserts until Europeans came over.  I didn't think pemmican (lard with smashed berries) would be too appealing.  I laugh about it now.  At the time, I just had to shake my head. 

While this recipe is German chocolate pie, not cake, it's a tasty treat, good enough for anyone wherever they're from!"

my website:  www.blackwolfbooks.com
my smashwords page:  https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/MagnoliaBelle
my amazon page: http://www.amazon.com/Magnolia-Belle/e/B001U4SZR0/ref=sr_tc_img_2_0?qid=1286083020&sr=1-2-ent


German Chocolate Pie

Mix in a separate bowl and set aside:
3/4 c. sugar, 1/2 c. flour, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 c milk

Mix in a separate bowl and set aside:
2 TBS butter, 1 c. coconut, 1/2 c. chopped pecans, 1 tsp vanilla

Beat 3 egg yolks well and set aside

Scald 1-1/2 c. milk.  Add 8 oz of German chocolate.  Stir until chocolate is melted.  Add first sugar mixture and stir until thickened.

Add beaten egg yolks and stir on low heat for 2-3 minutes.

Remove from heat and add coconut mixture, stirring well.

Cool and pour into a 9" baked pie shell.  Chill and top with sweetened whipped cream.

This is very rich, so small slices do quite well.


Thanks for stopping by, Belle. This sounds absolutely decadent! Mmmm.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it nice.