Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Thursday Recipe - Sweet Na'an

Na'an is a traditional flat bread from India. I've never been there (although I would love to visit someday!), but I do frequent our local Indian restaurant. One of my favorite dishes ever was the sweet na'an. Think cinnamon roll on steroids.

This recipe isn't authentic mostly because I don't have a clay tandoori oven. But it's the closest I could come with my home mixer and oven. It's still extremely tasty.

If you enjoy this, it's part of a 12-course Scherezade storytelling banquet I wrote for Abandoned Towers Magazine. It's in print issue #4 (http://abandonedtowers.com) if you want to try my version of middle-eastern/Indian cuisine.

Sweet Na'an

1 1/2 c. warm water
1 T. dry active yeast
3 T. sugar
1 T. salt
3 egg yolks
4 - 5 c. flour
1 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. coconut
1/2 c. raisins or chopped dates
1/2 c. pecans, chopped
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. ginger
1 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. ground cloves
1/2 t. anise seeds

Mix yeast and sugar into warm water. Let sit until it foams, about 5 minutes. Add salt, egg yolks, and 2 c. flour. Beat until smooth. Add enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead about 5 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Cover and refrigerate 3 - 4 hours.

Mix brown sugar, butter, coconut, raisins, pecans, and spices in small bowl.

Heat oven to 425°. Divide dough into 4 portions. Roll each portion into large circle at least 12 inches in diameter. Spread 1/4 of filling over dough. Fold in half and seal edges. Place on large cookie sheet. Bake 10 - 12 minutes, until bread is golden brown. Repeat with other 3 portions. Tear into pieces and serve hot.

4 comments:

  1. a good substitute for a tandoori oven to bake breads is a baking stone like pizza stones offered from Pampered chef.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't want to recommend that because the filling tends to leak. If you use a baking stone, put the bread on foil to bake. Burnt sugar is a bear to scrub.

    Thanks, April!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man what a scrummy recipe, Jaleta! I LOVE your recipes. :) Am bookmarking this one for when I have some spare time and the kids feel like joining me in cooking.

    I have a baking stone and shall remember to cover it. Thanks for the tip, April (and Jaleta).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to post the other na'an recipes, too. Thanks, Kaz!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, keep it nice.