Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Monday, March 29, 2010

Life Lessons from Video Games

I'm not much of a gamer. I rarely play video games, especially the newer ones. It's normally a one-way trip to motion sickness and migraine territory. Some titles are just irresistible though, Plants vs. Zombies being the prime exception. For years, I was a Tetris addict. I just couldn't get enough of the game. I was good, too. My kids still haven't wiped my high scores off the board.

Tetris taught me important life skills. Ha! you say. Let me prove it. What is Tetris, really? Visual manipulation of objects. I use that skill every week at the grocery store. I can pack a cart so full, it requires two carts to get the bagged groceries out of the store. And you should see me at Costco where almost everything comes in a nice, 90 degree corner box. Unfortunately, it's not a skill in high demand.

I can pack ten people and all their gear for a week-long trip into a 15 passenger van and still have room to breathe. Another life skill I blame on Tetris. (Why would you do that? you ask. Are you a tour guide or travel planner? Nope. I have eight kids. We do go on vacation occasionally but not often. It requires too much logistics. Troop movements, except my troops don't follow orders very often.)

I can also protect my brains from zombies using frozen watermelons, but that doesn't seem to be a high demand skill either. Not until the zombie apocalypse.

7 comments:

  1. LOL Love this post. I think knowing how to pack is a very useful skill. And that frozen watermelon trick ... well, sure it's handy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for the zombie apocalypse, except I have a black thumb. I can kill zucchini. I'll have to stick to the virtual apocalypse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The skills I've picked up from video games is: pick up EVERYTHING, you never know when it may come in handy.

    Which explains why my house and garage are disaster areas. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Either pick it up, or smash it to pieces. Ever played Lego Indiana Jones? Destroy everything, and I mean *everything*!

    I think it may be a pack rat gene to blame. I've got similar problems. You should see my computer files - save everything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your scores did get beat >:). It was a summer well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You just *think* you beat them. I have to do something to keep your self-esteem up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We do too follow orders... when we feel like it. And you may have been the Tetris master of packing the car, and I your humble apprentice, but I win when it comes to being the flight attendant and keeping them all from getting carsick most of the time.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, keep it nice.